Apparently Adobe’s Creative Suite 2 is freely available for everyone’s download.
See Adobe Creative Suite 2.
If you search for licensing details you find (after some searching!) the following information:
Effective December 13 2012, Adobe disabled the activation server for Creative Suite 2 products and Acrobat 7 because of a technical glitch. These products were released over seven years ago and do not run on many modern operating systems. But to ensure that any customers activating those old versions can continue to use their software, Adobe issued a serial number directly to those customers. While it could be interpreted as Adobe giving away software for free, Adobe did it to help its customers.
But on the download page there is no mention of any of this licensing requirement whatsoever. In my humble opinion this compares to a free giveaway of Adobe’s CS2 suite!
Additional to this, normally every Adobe download is protected via Adobe’s authentication mechanism but these downloads are directly downloadable with no protection, redirect or other digital protected distribution method.
In the Adobe’s forums some poster asked the right questions but no answer was provided yet.
His/her questions were:
- It is not free, it was just posted for people who already have a license and can no longer use the activation servers (which were decomissioned).
Where is that stated on the downloadpage? http://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/index.html
- Why is that page accessible for everyone without an adobe ID?
- Why Can the content be directly downloaded without even going to the downloadpage without any form of ID authentication.
- Why is the EULA not customized for this?
- Why is there still no notification on the download page?
- Why am I able to register it and it shows up in my “My Adobe”?
- Why have the users who have registerd this with their full and valid adress and email information not received any mail about this?
- Why is the forum the only communication channel to about this? When and Where will be the official statement? Will this be outside the forum. If not, why not use the website homepage and email adresses of the registered users?
See the post in question.
For the Mac users be aware that the downloads are PowerPC cpu comptabile only!
Window users can use these software without any problems.
Direct links & serial numbers:
Adobe Creative Suite 2
Anyway download immediately I say while this lasts 🙂
The Coolest Dolphin.
*** UPDATE ***
Meanwhile Adobe added a disclaimer stating that you need a legal license for this software:
Adobe has disabled the activation server for CS2 products, including Acrobat 7, because of a technical issue. These products were released more than seven years ago, do not run on many modern operating systems, and are no longer supported.
Adobe strongly advises against running unsupported and outdated software. The serial numbers below should only be used by customers who legitimately purchased CS2 or Acrobat 7 and need to maintain their current use of these products.
But still the question remains why Adobe allowed anyone to download this CS2 version? Normally every Adobe official software download is put behind an authentication wall via license check and is not openly available for download.